Peruvian Chicken Stew (Estofado de Pollo) with Cilantro Green Rice Recipe
This one is one of my favorite Peruvian foods. This chicken stew is a recipe from my dear mom Lili. Prep time is only 15 mins so its another easy dish! The below serves 4 people or more.
Here are the ingredients for the Peruvian chicken stew:
- 6 chicken legs (any other part to preference)
- Olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves (or 4 teaspoons of minced garlic for the lazy ones out there. You know who you are!)
- 1 small diced white onion (or half of a large one)
- 2 diced tomatoes
- 2 carrots cut in small pieces
- Salt, pepper, cumin, paprika (to dress the chicken)
- 4 medium potatoes (not larger than your fist), washed and peeled, then cut in chunks. Maybe 5 or so portions per potato. (or any way you prefer).
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- 1/2 glass of white wine
- 1/2 glass of water
- 1 laurel leaf
- dry oregano (1 tablespoon)
Ingredients for rice:
- 2 cups of white (or brown rice)
- 3 cups of chicken stock
- 1 cup of fresh Spinach
- 1 cilantro bunch (cut the stems out)
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic (or a whole clove)
Ingredients for a good time:
- Some good sangria (or Meiomi pinot noir)
- Good music and a good attitude!
Prepare the stew:
Cover the chicken with salt, pepper, cumin and paprika. Heat a pan from medium to high heat with a little olive oil and lightly fry the chicken. Turn and make sure you cover all sides. Do this for about 3 -4 minutes. You are not cooking the chicken thoroughly, just lightly frying the pieces, then remove them to rest on a side plate.
Reduce the heat to medium and place the onions (with a little more olive oil) on the same pot to cook for 2 minutes until a bit caramelized. Then pour the garlic and tomatoes. Stir often so the garlic doesn’t burn for a minute. Then pour the wine, water laurel leaf, potatoes, carrots, peas, chicken, sprinkle the oregano and cover for 40 minutes.
Prepare the rice:
Please note I am using a rice cooker for this. On a blender mix the chicken stock, cilantro, spinach and garlic. Then, pour this mix, the butter, rice and peas on the rice cooker and cook.
I place a little habanero sauce or sriracha sauce over the rice for a kick!