- 2.5 cups of thickened or heavy cream
- 2 Teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 6 Egg yolks
- 1/3 of a cup of sugar
- Some brown sugar & a blow torch (oven will work if no blow torch). You can get a torch at Bed Bath and Beyond or Amazon for less than $20
For glazed fruit
- Orange juice
- 3⁄4 cup fruit juice (apple, orange,etc.)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- Beat egg yolks, 4 tablespoons white sugar and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl until thick and creamy.
- Pour cream into a saucepan and stir over low heat until it almost comes to boil. Remove the cream from heat immediately after it develops a film
- Stir cream into the egg yolk mixture. Pour a very small amount first and stir. This process is called “tempering” so you don’t cook the egg. Continue pouring and mixing until all combined.
- Strain in to a jug
- Use the blowtorch to remove any bubbles. You can use a spoon if you don’t have a blowtorch.
- Pour cream mixture into the ramekins.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes. Remove from oven and cool to room temperature. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
To caramelize custard (with blowtorch)
- Sift brown sugar evenly over custard
- Use blowtorch to melt sugar. Wait 30 secs and do another pass on each ramekin.
To caramelize custard (with no blowtorch)
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Sift brown sugar evenly over custard. Place dish under broiler until sugar melts, about 2 minutes. Watch carefully so as not to burn.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool. Refrigerate until custard is set again.
- Combine fruit juice and cornstarch in a 2 cup microwave-safe measuring cup.
- Stir in sugar
- Microwave for 2-2 1/2 minutes at High, stirring once, until thickened.
- Cool for 5 minutes, then dip the fruit on the glaze and place over the custard and you are done!